1. Svennilson E, Torvik A, Lowe R, Leksell L. Treatment of parkinsonism by stereotatic ther-molesions in the pallidal region. A clinical evaluation of 81 cases. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1960; 35:358-377.
2. Hassler R, Riechert T. Indications and localization of stereotactic brain operations. Nervenarzt 1954; 25(11):441-447.
3. Fenelon F. Account of four years of practice of a personal intervention for Parkinson's disease. Rev Neurol (Paris) 1953; 89(6):580-585.
4. Benabid AL, Pollak P, Louveau A, Henry S, de Rougemont J. Combined (thalamotomy and stimulation) stereotactic surgery of the VIM thalamic nucleus for bilateral Parkinson disease. Appl Neurophysiol 1987; 50(1-6):344-346.
5. Benabid AL, Pollak P, Gervason C, et al. Long-term suppression of tremor by chronic stimulation of the ventral intermediate thalamic nucleus. Lancet 1991; 337(8738):403-406.
6. Siegfried J, Lippitz B. Bilateral chronic electrostimulation of ventroposterolateral pallidum: a new therapeutic approach for alleviating all parkinsonian symptoms. Neurosurgery 1994; 35(6):1126-1129; discussion 1129-1130.
7. Pollak P, Benabid AL, Gross C, et al. Effects of the stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson disease. Rev Neurol 1993; 149(3):175-176.
8. Benabid AL, Pollak P, Gao D, et al. Chronic electrical stimulation of the ventralis inter-medius nucleus of the thalamus as a treatment of movement disorders [comment]. J Neu-rosurg 1996; 84(2):203-214.
9. Koller W, Pahwa R, Busenbark K, et al. High-frequency unilateral thalamic stimulation in the treatment of essential and parkinsonian tremor. Ann Neurol 1997; 42(3):292-299.
10. Limousin P, Speelman JD, Gielen F, Janssens M. Multicentre European study of thalamic stimulation in parkinsonian and essential tremor. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1999; 66(3):289-296.
11. Ondo W, Jankovic J, Schwartz K, Almaguer M, Simpson RK. Unilateral thalamic deep brain stimulation for refractory essential tremor and Parkinson's disease tremor. Neurology 1998; 51(4):1063-1069.
12. Lyons KE, Koller WC, Wilkinson SB, Pahwa R. Long term safety and efficacy of unilateral deep brain stimulation of the thalamus for parkinsonian tremor. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2001; 71(5):682-684.
13. Pahwa R, Lyons KE, Wilkinson SB, et al. Long-term evaluation of deep brain stimulation of the thalamus. J Neurosurg 2006; 104(4):506-512.
14. Pollak P, Benabid AL, Limousin P, Benazzouz A. Chronic intracerebral stimulation in Parkinson's disease. Adv Neurol 1997; 74:213-220.
15. Pahwa R, Wilkinson S, Smith D, Lyons K, Miyawaki E, Koller WC. High-frequency stimulation of the globus pallidus for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Neurology 1997; 49(1):249-253.
16. The Deep-Brain Stimulation for Parkinson's Disease Study Group. Deep-brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus or the pars interna of the globus pallidus in Parkinson's disease [comment]. N Engl J Med 2001; 345(13):956-963.
17. Loher TJ, Burgunder JM, Pohle T, Weber S, Sommerhalder R, Krauss JK. Long-term pallidal deep brain stimulation in patients with advanced Parkinson disease: 1-year follow-up study. J Neurosurg 2002; 96(5):844-853.
18. Ghika J, Villemure JG, Fankhauser H, Favre J, Assal G, Ghika-Schmid F. Efficiency and safety of bilateral contemporaneous pallidal stimulation (deep brain stimulation) in levodopa-responsive patients with Parkinson's disease with severe motor fluctuations: a 2-year follow-up review. J Neurosurg 1998; 89(5):713-718.
19. Kumar R, Lang AE, Rodriguez-Oroz MC, et al. Deep brain stimulation of the globus pal-lidus pars interna in advanced Parkinson's disease. Neurology 2000; 55(12 suppl 6): S34-S39.
20. Volkmann J, Allert N, Voges J, Sturm V, Schnitzler A, Freund HJ. Long-term results of bilateral pallidal stimulation in Parkinson's disease. Ann Neurol 2004; 55(6):871-875.
21. Anderson VC, Burchiel KJ, Hogarth P, Favre J, Hammerstad JP. Pallidal vs subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation in Parkinson disease. Arch Neurol 2005; 62(4):554-560.
22. Lyons KE, Wilkinson SB, Troster AI, Pahwa R. Long-term efficacy of globus pallidus stimulation for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 2002; 79(3-4):214-220.
23. Rodriguez-Oroz MC, Obeso JA, Lang AE, et al. Bilateral deep brain stimulation in Parkinson's disease: a multicentre study with 4 years follow-up. Brain 2005; 128(Pt 10): 2240-2249.
24. Esselink RA, de Bie RM, de Haan RJ, et al. Unilateral pallidotomy versus bilateral sub-thalamic nucleus stimulation in PD: a randomized trial. Neurology 2004; 62(2):201-207.
25. Welter ML, Houeto JL, Tezenas du Montcel S, et al. Clinical predictive factors of subthalamic stimulation in Parkinson's disease. Brain 2002; 125(Pt 3):575-583.
26. Kumar R, Lozano AM, Kim YJ, et al. Double-blind evaluation of subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation in advanced Parkinson's disease. Neurology 1998; 51(3):850-855.
27. Vesper J, Klostermann F, Stockhammer F, Funk T, Brock M. Results of chronic subthalamic nucleus stimulation for Parkinson's disease: a 1-year follow-up study. Surg Neurol 2002; 57(5):306-311; discussion 311-303.
28. Doshi PK, Chhaya NA, Bhatt MA. Bilateral subthalamic nucleus stimulation for Parkinson's disease. Neurol India 2003; 51(1):43-48.
29. Limousin P, Krack P, Pollak P, et al. Electrical stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in advanced Parkinson's disease. N Engl J Med 1998; 339(16):1105-1111.
30. Rodriguez-Oroz MC, Gorospe A, Guridi J, et al. Bilateral deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's disease. Neurology 2000; 55(12 suppl 6):S45-S51.
31. Ostergaard K, Sunde N, Dupont E. Effects of bilateral stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in patients with severe Parkinson's disease and motor fluctuations. Mov Disord 2002; 17(4):693-700.
32. Schupbach WM, Chastan N, Welter ML, et al. Stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's disease: a 5 year follow up. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2005; 76(12): 1640-1644.
33. Krause M, Fogel W, Mayer P, Kloss M, Tronnier V. Chronic inhibition of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's disease. J Neurol Sci 2004; 219(1-2):119-124.
34. Romito LM, Scerrati M, Contarino MF, Iacoangeli M, Bentivoglio AR, Albanese A. Bilateral high frequency subthalamic stimulation in Parkinson's disease: long-term neurological follow-up. J Neurosurg Sci 2003; 47(3):119-128.
35. Kleiner-Fisman G, Fisman DN, Sime E, Saint-Cyr JA, Lozano AM, Lang AE. Long-term follow up of bilateral deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in patients with advanced Parkinson disease. J Neurosurg 2003; 99(3):489-495.
36. Pahwa R, Wilkinson SB, Overman J, Lyons KE. Bilateral subthalamic stimulation in patients with Parkinson disease: long-term follow up. J Neurosurg 2003; 99(1):71-77.
37. Krack P, Batir A, Van Blercom N, et al. Five-year follow-up of bilateral stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in advanced Parkinson's disease [see comment]. N Engl J Med 2003; 349(20):1925-1934.
38. Charles PD, Van Blercom N, Krack P, et al. Predictors of effective bilateral subthalamic nucleus stimulation for PD. Neurology 2002; 59(6):932-934.
39. Jaggi JL, Umemura A, Hurtig HI, et al. Bilateral stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's disease: surgical efficacy and prediction of outcome. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 2004; 82(2-3):104-114.
40. Pahwa R, Wilkinson SB, Overman J, Lyons KE. Preoperative clinical predictors of response to bilateral subthalamic stimulation in patients with Parkinson's disease. Stereo-tact Funct Neurosurg 2005; 83(2-3):80-83.
41. Pahwa R, Factor SA, Lyons KE, et al. Practice Parameter: Treatment of Parkinson disease with motor fluctuations and dyskinesia (an evidence-based review). Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2006; 66:983-995.
42. Krack P, Pollak P, Limousin P, et al. Subthalamic nucleus or internal pallidal stimulation in young onset Parkinson's disease. Brain 1998; 121(Pt 3):451-457.
43. Scotto di Luzio A, Ammannati F, Marini P, Sorbi S, Mennonna P. Which target for DBS in Parkinson's disease? Subthalamic nucleus versus globus pallidus internus. Neurol Sci 2001; 22(1):87-88.
44. Volkmann J, Allert N, Voges J, Weiss PH, Freund HJ, Sturm V. Safety and efficacy of pallidal or subthalamic nucleus stimulation in advanced PD [erratum appears in Neurology 2001; 57(7):1354]. Neurology 2001; 56(4):548-551.
45. Krause M, Fogel W, Heck A, et al. Deep brain stimulation for the treatment of Parkinson's disease: subthalamic nucleus versus globus pallidus internus. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2001; 70(4):464-470.
46. Beric A, Kelly PJ, Rezai A, et al. Complications of deep brain stimulation surgery. Stereo-tact Funct Neurosurg 2001; 77(1-4):73-78.
47. Umemura A, Jaggi JL, Hurtig HI, et al. Deep brain stimulation for movement disorders: morbidity and mortality in 109 patients. J Neurosurg 2003; 98(4):779-784.
48. Lyons KE, Wilkinson SB, Overman J, Pahwa R. Surgical and hardware complications of subthalamic stimulation: a series of 160 procedures. Neurology 2004; 63(4):612-616.
49. Kondziolka D, Whiting D, Germanwala A, Oh M. Hardware-related complications after placement of thalamic deep brain stimulator systems. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 2002; 79(3-4):228-233.
50. Oh MY, Abosch A, Kim SH, Lang AE, Lozano AM. Long-term hardware-related complications of deep brain stimulation. Neurosurgery 2002; 50(6): 1268-1274; discussion 1274-1266.
51. Burkhard PR, Vingerhoets FJ, Berney A, Bogousslavsky J, Villemure JG, Ghika J. Suicide after successful deep brain stimulation for movement disorders. Neurology 2004; 63(11): 2170-2172.
52. Benabid AL, Chabardes S, Seigneuret E. Deep-brain stimulation in Parkinson's disease: long-term efficacy and safety—What happened this year? Curr Opin Neurol 2005; 18(6):623-630.
Was this article helpful?
Have you ever been envious of people who seem to have no end of clever ideas, who are able to think quickly in any situation, or who seem to have flawless memories? Could it be that they're just born smarter or quicker than the rest of us? Or are there some secrets that they might know that we don't?