2. Singer C, Weiner WJ, Sanchez-Ramos JR. Autonomic dysfunction in men with Parkinson's disease. Eur Neurol 1992; 32:134-140.
3. Siddiqui MF, Rast S, Lynn MJ, Auchus AP, Pfeiffer RF. Autonomic dysfunction in Parkinson's disease: a comprehensive symptom survey. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2002; 8:277-284.
4. Taki J, Yoshita M, Yamada M, Tonami N. Significance of 123I-MIBG scintigraphy as a pathophysiological indicator in the assessment of Parkinson's disease and related disorders: it can be a specific marker for Lewy body disease. Ann Nucl Med 2004; 18:453-461.
5. Courbon F, Brefel-Courbon C, Thalamas C, et al. Cardiac MIBG scintigraphy is a sensitive tool for detecting cardiac sympathetic denervation in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 2003; 18:890-897.
6. Orimo S, Ozawa E, Nakade S, Sugimoto T, Mizusawa H. (123)I-metaiodobenzylguani-dine myocardial scintigraphy in Parkinson's disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1999; 67:189-194.
7. Li ST, Dendi R, Holmes C, Goldstein DS. Progressive loss of cardiac sympathetic innervation in Parkinson's disease. Ann Neurol 2002; 52:220-223.
8. Spiegel J, Mollers MO, Jost WH, et al. FP-CIT and MIBG scintigraphy in early Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 2005; 20:552-561.
9. Amino T, Orimo S, Itoh Y, Takahashi A, Uchihara T, Mizusawa H. Profound cardiac sympathetic denervation occurs in Parkinson disease. Brain Pathol 2005; 15:29-34.
10. Orimo S, Oka T, Miura H, et al. Sympathetic cardiac denervation in Parkinson's disease and pure autonomic failure but not in multiple system atrophy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2002; 73:776-777.
11. Iwanaga K, Wakabayashi K, Yoshimoto M, et al. Lewy body-type degeneration in cardiac plexus in Parkinson's and incidental Lewy body diseases. Neurology 1999; 52:1269-1271.
12. Okada Y, Ito Y, Aida J, Yasuhara M, Ohkawa S, Hirokawa K. Lewy bodies in the sinoatrial nodal ganglion: clinicopathological studies. Pathol Int 2004; 54:682-687.
13. Riley DE, Chelimsky TC. Autonomic nervous system testing may not distinguish multiple system atrophy from Parkinson's disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2003; 74: 56-60.
14. Sharabi Y, Li ST, Dendi R, Holmes C, Goldstein DS. Neurotransmitter specificity of sympathetic denervation in Parkinson's disease. Neurology 2003; 60:1036-1039.
15. Devos D, Kroumova M, Bordet R, et al. Heart rate variability and Parkinson's disease severity. J Neural Transm 2003; 110:997-1011.
16. Gurevich TY, Groozman GB, Giladi N, Drory VE, Hausdorff JM, Korczyn AD. R-R interval variation in Parkinson's disease and multiple system atrophy. Acta Neurol Scand 2004; 109:276-279.
Kallio M, Suominen K, Haapaniemi T, et al. Nocturnal cardiac autonomic regulation in Parkinson's disease. Clin Auton Res 2004; 14:119-124.
Pursiainen V, Haapaniemi TH, Korpelainen JT, Huikuri HV, Sotaniemi KA, Myllyla VV. Circadian heart rate variability in Parkinson's disease. J Neurol 2002; 249:1535-1540. Allcock LM, Ullyart K, Kenny RA, Burn DJ. Frequency of orthostatic hypotension in a community based cohort of patients with Parkinson's disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2004; 75:1470-1471.
Bonuccelli U, Lucetti C, Del Dotto P, et al. Orthostatic hypotension in de novo Parkinson disease. Arch Neurol 2003; 60:1400-1404.
Goetz CG, Lutge W, Tanner CM. Autonomic dysfunction in Parkinson's disease. Neurology 1986; 36:73-75.
Goldstein DS, Holmes C, Sharabi Y, Brentzel S, Eisenhofer G. Plasma levels of catechols and metanephrines in neurogenic orthostatic hypotension. Neurology 2003; 60:1327-1332. Wakabayashi K, Takahashi H. Neuropathology of autonomic nervous system in Parkinson's disease. Eur Neurol 1997; 38(suppl 2):2-7.
Wakabayashi K, Takahashi H. The intermediolateral nucleus and Clarke's column in Parkinson's disease. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 1997; 94:287-289.
Plaschke M, Trenkwalder P, Dahlheim H, Lechner C, Trenkwalder C. Twenty-four-hour blood pressure profile and blood pressure responses to head-up tilt tests in Parkinson's disease and multiple system atrophy. J Hypertens 1998; 16:1433-1441. Dewey RB, Jr., Rao SD, Holmburg SL, Victor RG. Ergotamine/caffeine treatment of orthostatic hypotension in parkinsonism with autonomic failure. Eur J Neurol 1998; 5:593-599. Brooks DJ, Redmond S, Mathias CJ, Bannister R, Symon L. The effect of orthostatic hypotension on cerebral blood flow and middle cerebral artery velocity in autonomic failure, with observations on the action of ephedrine. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1989;52:962-966.
Imaizumi T, Takeshita A, Ashihara T, Nakamura M, Tsuji S, Shibazaki H. Increase in reflex vasoconstriction with indomethacin in patients with orthostatic hypotension and central nervous system involvement. Br Heart J 1984; 52:581-584.
Jankovic J, Gilden JL, Hiner BC, et al. Neurogenic orthostatic hypotension: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study with midodrine. Am J Med 1993; 95:38-48. Wright RA, Kaufmann HC, Perera R, et al. A double-blind, dose-response study of mido-drine in neurogenic orthostatic hypotension. Neurology 1998; 51:120-124. Edwards LL, Quigley EM, Harned RK, Hofman R, Pfeiffer RF. Characterization of swallowing and defecation in Parkinson's disease. Am J Gastroenterol 1994; 89:15-25. Potulska A, Friedman A, Krolicki L, Spychala A. Swallowing disorders in Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2003; 9:349-353.
Monte FS, da Silva-Junior FP, Braga-Neto P, Nobre e Souza MA, Sales de Bruin VM. Swallowing abnormalities and dyskinesia in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 2005; 20: 457-462.
Hunter PC, Crameri J, Austin S, Woodward MC, Hughes AJ. Response of parkinsonian swallowing dysfunction to dopaminergic stimulation. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1997; 63:579-583.
Deane KH, Whurr R, Clarke CE, Playford ED, Ben-Shlomo Y. Non-pharmacological therapies for dysphagia in Parkinson's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001; CD002816. Sharkawi AE, Ramig L, Logemann JA, et al. Swallowing and voice effects of Lee Silver-man Voice Treatment (LSVT): a pilot study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2002; 72:31-36. Shanahan TK, Logemann JA, Rademaker AW, Pauloski BR, Kahrilas PJ. Chin-down posture effect on aspiration in dysphagic patients. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1993; 74:736-739. Proulx M, de Courval FP, Wiseman MA, Panisset M. Salivary production in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 2005; 20:204-207.
Bagheri H, Damase-Michel C, Lapeyre-Mestre M, et al. A study of salivary secretion in Parkinson's disease. Clin Neuropharmacol 1999; 22:213-215.
Tscheng DZ. Sialorrhea—therapeutic drug options. Ann Pharmacother 2002; 36:1785-1790. Mancini F, Zangaglia R, Cristina S, et al. Double-blind, placebo-controlled study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of botulinum toxin type A in the treatment of drooling in parkinsonism. Mov Disord 2003; 18:685-688.
42. Dogu O, Apaydin D, Sevim S, Talas DU, Aral M. Ultrasound-guided versus 'blind' intra-parotid injections of botulinum toxin-A for the treatment of sialorrhoea in patients with Parkinson's disease. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2004; 106:93-96.
43. Ondo WG, Hunter C, Moore W. A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of botulinum toxin B for sialorrhea in Parkinson's disease. Neurology 2004; 62:37-40.
44. Ueki A, Otsuka M. Life style risks of Parkinson's disease: association between decreased water intake and constipation. J Neurol 2004; 251(suppl 7):VII18-VII23.
45. Braak H, Del Tredici K, Rub U, de Vos RA, Jansen Steur EN, Braak E. Staging of brain pathology related to sporadic Parkinson's disease. Neurobiol Aging 2003; 24:197-211.
46. Singaram C, Ashraf W, Gaumnitz EA, et al. Dopaminergic defect of enteric nervous system in Parkinson's disease patients with chronic constipation. Lancet 1995; 346:861-864.
47. Abbott RD, Petrovitch H, White LR, et al. Frequency of bowel movements and the future risk of Parkinson's disease. Neurology 2001; 57:456-462.
48. Abbott RD, Ross GW, White LR, et al. Environmental, life-style, and physical precursors of clinical Parkinson's disease: recent findings from the Honolulu-Asia Aging Study. J Neurol 2003; 250(suppl 3):III30-III39.
49. Mathers SE, Kempster PA, Law PJ, et al. Anal sphincter dysfunction in Parkinson's disease. Arch Neurol 1989; 46:1061-1064.
50. Stocchi F, Badiali D, Vacca L, et al. Anorectal function in multiple system atrophy and Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 2000; 15:71-76.
51. Jost WH, Eckardt VF. Constipation in idiopathic Parkinson's disease. Scand J Gastroenterol 2003; 38:681-686.
52. Jost WH, Schimrigk K. Cisapride treatment of constipation in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 1993; 8:339-343.
53. Liu Z, Sakakibara R, Odaka T, et al. Mosapride citrate, a novel 5-HT4 agonist and partial 5-HT3 antagonist, ameliorates constipation in parkinsonian patients. Mov Disord 2005; 20:680-686.
54. Cleveland MV, Flavin DP, Ruben RA, Epstein RM, Clark GE. New polyethylene glycol laxative for treatment of constipation in adults: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. South Med J 2001; 94:478-481.
55. Di Palma JA, Smith JR, Cleveland M. Overnight efficacy of polyethylene glycol laxative. Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97:1776-1779.
56. DiPalma JA, DeRidder PH, Orlando RC, Kolts BE, Cleveland MB. Arandomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter study of the safety and efficacy of a new polyethylene glycol laxative. Am J Gastroenterol 2000; 95:446-450.
57. Albanese A, Brisinda G, Bentivoglio AR, Maria G. Treatment of outlet obstruction constipation in Parkinson's disease with botulinum neurotoxin A. Am J Gastroenterol 2003; 98:1439-1440.
58. Hobson P, Islam W, Roberts S, Adhiyman V, Meara J. The risk of bladder and autonomic dysfunction in a community cohort of Parkinson's disease patients and normal controls. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2003; 10:67-71.
59. Lemack GE, Dewey RB Jr, Roehrborn CG, O'Suilleabhain PE, Zimmern PE. Questionnaire-based assessment of bladder dysfunction in patients with mild to moderate Parkinson's disease. Urology 2000; 56:250-254.
60. Berger Y, Blaivas JG, DeLaRocha ER, Salinas JM. Urodynamic findings in Parkinson's disease. J Urol 1987; 138:836-838.
61. Winge K, Werdelin LM, Nielsen KK, Stimpel H. Effects of dopaminergic treatment on bladder function in Parkinson's disease. Neurourol Urodyn 2004; 23:689-696.
62. Serels SR, Appell RA. Tolterodine: a new antimuscarinic agent for the treatment of the overactive bladder. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 1999; 8:1073-1078.
63. Diokno AC, Appell RA, Sand PK, et al. Prospective, randomized, double-blind study of the efficacy and tolerability of the extended-release formulations of oxybutynin and tolterodine for overactive bladder: results of the OPERA trial. Mayo Clin Proc 2003; 78: 687-695.
64. Clarke B. Anticholinergic medication for the unstable bladder: prospective trials of imipramine/propantheline versus penthienate and oxybutynin versus penthienate. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 1996; 7:191-195.
65. Bronner G, Royter V, Korczyn AD, Giladi N. Sexual dysfunction in Parkinson's disease. J Sex Marital Ther 2004; 30:95-105.
66. Von Keitz AT, Stroberg P, Bukofzer S, Mallard N, Hibberd M. A European multicentre study to evaluate the tolerability of apomorphine sublingual administered in a forced dose-escalation regimen in patients with erectile dysfunction. BJU Int 2002; 89:409-415.
67. Pohanka M, Kanovsky P, Bares M, Pulkrabek J, Rektor I. Pergolide mesylate can improve sexual dysfunction in patients with Parkinson's disease: the results of an open, prospective, 6-month follow-up. Eur J Neurol 2004; 11:483-488.
69. Raffaele R, Vecchio I, Giammusso B, Morgia G, Brunetto MB, Rampello L. Efficacy and safety of fixed-dose oral sildenafil in the treatment of sexual dysfunction in depressed patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease. Eur Urol 2002; 41:382-386.
70. Hussain IF, Brady CM, Swinn MJ, Mathias CJ, Fowler CJ. Treatment of erectile dysfunction with sildenafil citrate (Viagra) in parkinsonism due to Parkinson's disease or multiple system atrophy with observations on orthostatic hypotension. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2001; 71:371-374.
71. Turkka JT, Myllyla VV. Sweating dysfunction in Parkinson's disease. Eur Neurol 1987; 26:1-7.
72. Swinn L, Schrag A, Viswanathan R, Bloem BR, Lees A, Quinn N. Sweating dysfunction in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 2003; 18:1459-1463.
73. Feddersen B, Klopstock T, Noachtar S. Hyperhidrosis in Parkinson disease. Neurology 2005; 64:571.
74. Baumann L, Slezinger A, Halem M, et al. Pilot study of the safety and efficacy of Myobloc (botulinum toxin type B) for treatment of axillary hyperhidrosis. Int J Dermatol 2005; 44:418-424.
75. Glaser DA. Treatment of axillary hyperhidrosis by chemodenervation of sweat glands using botulinum toxin type A. J Drugs Dermatol 2004; 3:627-631.
76. Nelson L, Bachoo P, Holmes J. Botulinum toxin type B: a new therapy for axillary hyper-hidrosis. Br J Plast Surg 2005; 58:228-232.
77. Solish N, Benohanian A, Kowalski JW. Prospective open-label study of botulinum toxin type A in patients with axillary hyperhidrosis: effects on functional impairment and quality of life. Dermatol Surg 2005; 31:405-413.
78. Vadoud-Seyedi J, Simonart T, Heenen M. Treatment of plantar hyperhidrosis with der-mojet injections of botulinum toxin. Dermatology 2000; 201:179.
^ Sleep Dysfunction
Neurology Department, Guy's King's and St Thomas' School of Medicine, London, U.K. K. Ray Chaudhuri
Movement Disorders Unit, Kings College Hospital, University Hospital Lewisham and Guy's King's and St. Thomas' School of Medicine, London, U.K.
Was this article helpful?