• A. heterophyllus, popularly known as jackfruit, is a tree that attains a height of 8—25 m and a stem diameter 30—80 cm.
• The tree seems to be indigenous to the rainforests of the Western Ghats, but has since been distributed throughout tropical and subtropical regions.
• The jackfruit tree is a multipurpose species; it provides food, fuel, timber, and medicinal extracts. All the parts of the tree are said to have medicinal properties.
• The compound isolated from the seed of A. heterophyllus, jacalin, has potential as a therapeutic agent for cancer.
• Jacalin could make important contributions in two areas in AIDS research.
Was this article helpful?