• The Kerstingiella geocarpa seed is an underutilized legume grown mostly in northern Nigeria.
• The seed has potential nutritional and medicinal properties.
• It is an important source of inexpensive vegetable protein, with a good distribution of essential amino acids, and has a low atherogenic index and hypocholesterolemic potential.
• Alongside its nutrients Kerstingiella geocarpa seed contains antinutrients, which occur in concentration below critical levels.
• The Kerstingiella geocarpa seed will find use as a protein supplement, especially in the formulation of weaning diets.
Was this article helpful?