• Plukenetia volubilis L. (Euphorbiaceae) is one of the oldest cultivated plants of Peru.
• Sacha Inchi (Inca nut) oil is classified as an edible oil with the highest proportion of unsaturated fatty acids.
• Due to its high contents of omega-3 fatty acids (especially a-linoleic acid), omega-6 fatty acids, and omega-9 fatty acids, the oil is used in medical and cosmetic applications.
• Despite relatively high tocopherol concentrations, the oil is comparatively stable against oxidation.
• Prospective fields of application are coronary heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, ADHD, and inflammatory skin diseases.
Was this article helpful?