• Bambangan kernel contains diverse phenolic phytochemicals, such as phenolic acids and flavonoids, which might be responsible for the potent health-beneficial properties.
• The kernel extract has been shown to display superior antioxidant activity compared to 187 other parts of the fruit.
• Bambangan kernel extract has displayed a broad spectrum of anticancer properties, especially against breast cancer cells.
• Bambangan has also been shown to protect against t-BHP induced oxidative stress in mammalian cell lines, comparable to the well-known cytoprotective compound, quercetin.
• Preliminary data reveal that bambangan kernel extract has great potential as a chemopreventive and chemotherapeutic agent. Further study is needed to determine the efficacy of this extract in vivo and in human clinical trials.
Was this article helpful?