• Tomato seed oil is high in unsaturated fatty acids (80%), with a nutritional value comparable to other edible oils, such as corn oil.
• Tomato seed is also high in protein, more than double the amount found in most cereal grains.
• The essential amino acid scores of tomato seed are similar, or even better, than those of different cereal grains and seed kernels.
• Tomato seed is rich in minerals.
• Phytochemicals such as phenolic compounds, carotenoids and xanthophylls, tocopherols, and sterols have been identified in tomato seed.
• Tomato seeds contain a great deal of nutrients and potentially healthy bioactive compounds, could be used as sources of ingredients to fortify or functionalize food.
Was this article helpful?