• Bambara groundnut is a neglected and underutilized grain legume mainly cultivated by small-scale farmers (usually women) in many parts of Africa.
• As a well-balanced food, bambara groundnut is an excellent supplement in helping to achieve a balanced diet and overcome malnutrition, especially among children.
• The seeds have potential therapeutic properties that may contribute to the health of local communities.
• The seeds, with or without other plant mixtures, are used in traditional medicine.
• High temperature negates antinutrients and inhibitor factors contained within the seeds.
• Pharmacological studies needed to confirm these ethno-botanical reports remain to be performed.
• Currently, no detailed biochemical studies have been published on toxicity and potential adverse effects associated with the medicinal usage of bambara groundnut.
Was this article helpful?