• Tamarind seeds are a gold mine for bioactive principles such as antioxidants, procyanidines, flavanoids, polysaccharides, and proteins.
• Since these agents play a curative role in many pathophysiological disorders, TSE/isolated components may be recommended to treat oxidative stress, diabetes mellitus, inflammation, cancer, thrombolytic disorders, microbial infections, snakebite, arthritis, ocular lesions, chronic diarrhea, ulcers, serpinopathies, obesity, and dental and skeletal fluorosis.
• The isolated antioxidants from tamarind seeds have drawn the attention of pharmaceutical industries.
• The isolated polysaccharides could be applicable as facial toners, skin moisturizers, biopesticides, and biosorptive agents.
• Tamarind seed polysaccharides could be used as microspeares and nanofiber-based bioscaffolds for drug delivery and tissue-engineering purposes.
• Future studies related to making composite biopolymers of TSP with versatile polysaccharides such as hyaluronan, collagen, PLAGA and chitosan for better mucoadhesive and controlled release properties would be of great interest.
Was this article helpful?