• The bioactive components from SS possess analgesic properties.
• The actions of OSS, which contain 5HT and its derivatives, are associated with significant decreases in the nociceptive and proprioceptive functions.
• TCS, as a novel potent ST inhibitor, could possess antidepressant action, and would be helpful in improving neuropsychological disorders through regulating serotoninergic transmission.
• The lignan glycoside, tracheloside, has high anti-estrogenic activity comparable to that of tamoxifen, antagonist of the estrogen receptor in breast tissue.
• The analgesic, antioxidant, anti-atherogenic, immunomodulatory, free radical-scavenging, anti-inflammatory, and other medicinal properties of SC, bioflavonoids, and lignans can be used against various diseases and complications.
• OSS contains nearly 75% LA. LA is the major dietary fatty acid regulating LDL metabolism by down-regulating LDL production and enhancing its clearance.
Was this article helpful?