Acne (1; FNF; MAR); Anasarca (f; BIB); Anuria (f; DEP); Apoplexy (f; BIB); Ascites (f; BIB; KAB); Biliousness (f; BIB); Bronchosis (f; BIB); Bruise (f; BIB); Burn (f; BIB); Cancer (f; BIB); Cancer, bladder (f1; FNF; JLH); Cancer, liver (f1; FNF; JLH); Cancer, stomach (f1; BIB; JLH; JNU); Cancer, uterus (f1; BIB; JNU); Cardiopathy (1; FNF; JNU); Childbirth (f; HJP); Cold (f; BIB); Coryza (f; BIB); Cough (f; BIB; BOU); Cystosis (f; FNF; JLH); Dermatosis (f; BIB); Diabetes (f; BIB); Dyspepsia (f; BIB); Dysuria (f; BIB; DEP; NPM); Eczema (f; BIB; UPW; WOI); Extravasation (f; BIB); Fatigue (f; BIB); Fever (f; BOU); Freckle (f; BIB); Fungus (1; UPW); Gastrosis (f; JLH); Gonorrhea (f; BIB); Hepatosis (f; BIB; JLH); Hyperkeratosis (1; FNF; PAM; DAS); Ichthyosis (1; FNF); Infection (1; UPW); Inflammation (f1; JLH; X15261965); Insanity (f; KAB); Jaundice (f; BIB; LMP); Leukoplakia (1; FNF; PAM); Lupus (1; FNF; MAR); Mastosis (1; FNF); Menorrhagia (f; BIB); Mycosis (1; UPW); Nephrosis (f; BIB); Oliguria (f; BIB); Ophthalmia (f; BIB); Pityriasis (1; FNF);
Photophobia (1; FNF); PMS (1; FNF); Polyp (f; BIB); Porphyria (1; FNF); Prostatosis (f; FAC); Psoriasis (1; FNF); Rhinosis (f; BIB); Sore (f; BIB); Sore Throat (f; KAB); Stomatosis (f; BIB); Stress (1; FNF); Sunburn (f; BIB); Sunstroke (f; BIB); Thirst (f; KAB); Tumor (f; BIB); Tympanites (f; DEP); Ulcer (1; FNF); Uterosis (f; JLH); Venereal Disease (f; BIB); Xerophthalmia (1; FNF).
Fruit widely eaten raw, pickled, or baked; seeds eaten raw or toasted, or slurried in fruit juices; or the oil is expressed. Roasted charmagaz is a mixture of peeled melon, cucumber, pumpkin, and watermelon seed (FAC; TAN; EB54:155); leaves eaten as a relish, vegetable, and in soups (UPW).
• Algerians give floral tea after surgically removing fetus (HJP).
• Asian Indians apply bruised seeds to children with tympanites (DEP).
• Asian Indians suggest fruit, raw or cooked, as lotion in eczema, freckles, and sunburn (NAD); one fruit a day for eczema (DEP).
• Asian Indians consider their beverage called burfi good for the prostate (FAC).
• Asian Indians consider the seed oil diuretic (NAD).
• Chinese suggest the seed for stomach cancer (JLH).
• Lebanese rub fruit pulp on breast and give it to weaning children to suck (HJP).
• Lebanese believe the melon repels bedbugs (HJP).
• Unani, considering the seed diuretic, lachrymatory, and tonic, use for bronchosis, fever, hepatosis, nephrosis, ophthalmia, sore throat, thirst; the fruit they consider cardiotonic, cerebrotonic, diaphoretic, diuretic, lactagogue, used for dysuria and ophthalmia, the vulnerary rind applied to the hypogastrium as diuretic (KAB).
Vouldoukis et al. (2004) proved antioxidant and antiinflammatory activities in a melon extract selected for its high superoxide dismutase activity. The extract dose dependently inhibited the production of superoxide anion (maximal at 100 pg/ml). The antiinflammatory properties of the extract were, in part, due to the induction of production of IL-10 by peritoneal macrophages (X15261965). Alpha-spinasterol significantly (circa 1000 x simvastin, a coenzyme-A inhibitor) modulates development and/or progression of diabetic nephropathy. It reduced significantly attendant increases in serum triglycerides, renal weight, and urinary protein excretion in diabetic mice (X15326549).
Was this article helpful?
Learning About 10 Ways Fight Off Cancer Can Have Amazing Benefits For Your Life The Best Tips On How To Keep This Killer At Bay Discovering that you or a loved one has cancer can be utterly terrifying. All the same, once you comprehend the causes of cancer and learn how to reverse those causes, you or your loved one may have more than a fighting chance of beating out cancer.