Intake and Distribution

The dietary intake of calcium in the United States is approximately 20mmol (600-1200 mg) per day unless supplements are consumed. Approximately 73% of dietary calcium is supplied from milk products, 9% from fruits and vegetables, 5% from grains, and the remaining 12% from all other sources. Approximately 25% of women take a nutritional supplement that contains calcium, but supplement use by men and children is much lower.

Approximately 25-50% of dietary calcium is absorbed and delivered to the exchangeable calcium pool. Of the 25-30 mol (1000-1200 g) of calcium in the body, 99% is found in the skeleton and teeth. The remaining 1% is in the blood, extracellular fluid, muscle, and other tissues. The extracellular pool of calcium turns over 20-30 times per day in adults, whereas bone calcium turns over every 5 or 6 years. A remarkably large amount is filtered through the kidneys, approximately 250mmol (10 000mg) per day, of which approximately 98% is reabsorbed, so that urinary excretion of the mineral is only 2.5-5 mmol (100-200 mg) per day (Figure 1).

101 Everyday Tips for Losing 10 Pounds

101 Everyday Tips for Losing 10 Pounds

Studies show obesity may soon overtake tobacco as the leading cause of death in world. Who Else Could Use 101 'Everyday' Ways to Lose 10 Pounds or more and Keep it Off! You've been putting it off too long. Hey, everyone needs to lose weight from time to time. You're no different!

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment