The symptoms of overtraining definitely illustrate an imbalance between the sympathetic and para-sympathetic branches of the autonomic nervous system. People who engage in "intensity-related" activities, such as sprinters, may exhibit sympathetically dominant symptoms:
• Increased blood pressure and resting heart rates
• Elevated basal metabolic rate
• Emotional instability and sleep disturbance
• Loss of appetite
The symptoms can be parasympathetically related in people who engage in endurance activities:
• Decreased resting blood pressure and resting heart rate
• Early onset of fatigue
• Rapid recovery of heart rate after exercise Sympathetically related symptoms occur more frequently than parasympathetically related ones. However, similar symptoms can also be experienced by athletes who have not trained excessively; thus care should be taken in making a clinical diagnosis.
Was this article helpful?
This guide will help millions of people understand this condition so that they can take control of their lives and make informed decisions. The ebook covers information on a vast number of different types of neuropathy. In addition, it will be a useful resource for their families, caregivers, and health care providers.