1. James SL, Jones DC: Biomechanical aspects of distance running injuries. In Cavanagh PR, editor: Biomechanics of distance running, Champaign, Ill, 1990, Human Kinetics.
2. Hoke BR: Running. In Shamus E, Shamus J, editors: Sports injury: prevention & rehabilitation, New York, 2001, McGraw-Hill, pp 241-266.
3. Grelsamer RP, McConnell J: The patella: a team approach, Gaithersburg, Md, 1998, Aspen.
4. Hoke BR, Lefever-Button SL: When the feet hit the ground, everything changes. Level 2: Take the next step, Toledo, Ohio, 1994, American Physical Rehabilitation Network.
5. Konradsen L, Berg Hansen E, Sondergaard L: Long distance running and osteoarthrosis, Am J Sports Med 18:379-381, 1990.
6. Powell B: Medical aspects of racing. In Burke ER, editor: Science of Cycling, Champaign, Ill, 1986, Human Kinetics, p 185.
7. Mellion MB: Neck and back pain in bicycling, Clin Sports Med 13:137-164, 1994.
8. Stone WJ, Steingard PM: Year-round conditioning for basketball, Clin Sports Med 12:173-192, 1993.
9. Nicholas J, Hershman E: In The lower extremity and spine in sports medicine, vol 1, St Louis, 1986, Mosby.
10. Traina SM, Yonezuka NY, Zinis YC: Achilles tendon injury in a professional basketball player, Orthopedics 22:625-626, 1999.
11. Hosea TM, Carey CC, Harrer MF: The gender issue: epidemiology of ankle injuries in athletes who participate in basketball, Clin Orthop (372):45-49, 2000.
12. Songzogni JJ, Gross ML: Assessment and treatment of basketball injuries, Clin Sports Med 12:221-237, 1993.
13. Molnar TJ, Fox JM: Overuse injuries of the knee in basketball, Clin Sports Med 12:349-362, 1993.
14. Peppart A: Knee rehabilitation. In Canavan P, editor: Rehabilitation in sports medicine, Stamford, Conn, 1988, Appleton & Lange, pp 320-321.
15. Roels J, Martens M, Mulier J, et al: Patellar tendinitis (jumper's knee), Am J Sports Med 6:363, 1978.
16. Ray J, Clancy L, Lemon R: Semimembranosus tendinitis: an overlooked cause of medial knee pain, Am J Sports Med 16:347, 1988.
17. Herskowitz A, Selesnik H: Back injuries in basketball players, Clin Sports Med 12:293-306, 1993.
18. McFarland EG, Wasik M: Epidemiology of collegiate baseball injuries, Clin J Sport Med 8:10-13, 1998.
19. Mohr K, Brewster CE: Baseball. In Shamus E, Shamus J, editors: Sports injury: prevention & rehabilitation, New York, 2001, McGraw-Hill, pp 28-29.
20. McCarroll JR, Gioe TJ: Professional golfers and the price they pay, Phys Sports Med 10(7):64-70, 1982.
21. Batt ME: A survey of golf injuries in amateur golfers, Br J Sports Med 26:63-65, 1992.
22. Geisler PR: Golf. In Shamus E, Shamus J, editors: Sports Injury: Prevention & Rehabilitation, New York, 2001, McGraw-Hill, pp 185-226.
23. Lord MJ, Ha KI, Song KS: Stress fractures of the ribs in golfers, Am J Sports Med 24:118-122, 1996.
24. National Collegiate Athletic Association: Injury Surveillance System: Health and safety education outreach, 1997, P.O.Box 6222, Indianapolis, Ind 46206.
25. Garrick J, Webb D: In Sports Injuries: Diagnosis and Management, ed 2, Philadelphia, 1999, WB Saunders, pp 198-202.
26. Vermillion RP: Football. In Shamus E, Shamus J, editors: Sports injury: prevention & rehabilitation, New York, 2001, McGraw-Hill, pp 311-338.
27. Metzl JD, Micheli LJ: Youth soccer: an epidemiologic perspective, Clin Sports Med 17:664-674, 1998.
28. Lindenfeld TN, Schmitt DJ, Hendy MP, et al: Incidence of injury in indoor soccer, Am J Sports Med 22:364-371, 1994.
29. Nielsen AB, Yde J: Epidemiology and traumatology of injuries in soccer, Am J Sports Med 17:803-807, 1989.
30. Ekstrand J, Gillquist J, Moller M, et al: Incidence of soccer injuries and their relation to training and team success, Am J Sports Med 11:63-67, 1983.
31. Arnheim DD, Prentice WE: Principles of athletic training, St. Louis, 1993, Mosby.
32. Gasse S: Soccer. In Shamus E, Shamus J, editors: Sports injury: prevention & rehabilitation, New York, 2001, McGraw-Hill, pp 373-406.
33. Garrick JG, Webb DR: Sports injuries: diagnosis and management, ed 24, Philadelphia, 1999, WB Saunders.
34. Torry MR, Steadman JR: Alpine skiing. In Shamus E, Shamus J, editors: Sports injury: prevention & rehabilitation, New York, 2001, McGraw-Hill, pp 267-288.
35. Briggs KK, Steadman JR: Pre-placement screening program for the ski resort industry: an 8-year study, Vail, Colo, 1998, Vail Resorts Association Technical Report 8.
36. Shealy JE: Overall analysis of NSAA/ASTM data on skiing injuries for 1978 through 1981. In Johnson RJ, Mote CD, editors: Skiing trauma and safety: 5th international symposium (ASTM STP-860), Philadelphia, 1985, American Society for Testing and Materials, pp 302-313.
37. Molsa J, Airaksinen O, Masman O, et al: Ice hockey injuries in Finland: a prospective epidemiologic study, Am J Sports Med 25:495-499, 1997.
38. Montelpare WJ, Pelletier R, Stark R: Ice hockey injuries. In Caine D, Caine C, Lindner K, editors: Epidemiology of sports injuries, Champaign, Ill, 1996, Human Kinetics, Chap 15.
39. Tegner Y, Lorentzon R: Concussion among Swedish elite ice hockey players, Br J Sports Med 30:251-255, 1996.
40. Voaklander DC, Saunders LD, Quinney HA, et al: Epidemiology of recreational and old-timer ice-hockey injuries, Clin J Sport Med 6:15-21, 1996.
41. Tredget T, Godberson C, Bose B: Myositis ossificans due to hockey injury, CMAJ 116:65-66, 1977.
42. Troup JP, Hollander AP, Bone M, et al: Performance-related differences in the anaerobic contribution of competitive freestyle swimmers, J Sports Sci 9:106-107, 1991.
43. Troup JP: The physiology and biomechanics of competitive swimming, Clin Sports Med 18:267-285, 1999.
44. Kammer CS, Young CC, Niedfeldt MW: Swimming injuries and illness, Phys Sports Med 27:51, 1999.
45. Shapiro C: Swimming. In Shamus E, Shamus J, editors: Sports injury: prevention & rehabilitation, New York, 2001, McGraw-Hill, pp 103-154.
46. Fry AC: Resistance exercise overtraining and overreaching, neuroendocrine responses, Sports Med 23:106-129, 1997.
47. Richardson AB: Injuries in competitive swimming, Clin Sports Med 18:287-291, 1999.
48. Richardson AB: Thoracic outlet syndrome in aquatic athletes, Clin Sports Med 18:361-378, 1999.
49. McMaster WC: Anterior glenoid labrum damage: a painful lesion in swimmers, Am J Sports Med 14:383-387, 1986.
50. Fowler PJ: Swimming. In Fu FH, Stone DA, editors: Sports injuries: mechanisms, prevention, treatment, Baltimore, 1994, Williams & Wilkins, pp 633-648.
51. Kenal KA, Knapp LD: Rehabilitation of injuries in competitive swimmers, Sports Med 22:337-347, 1996.
52. Fowler PJ, Webster-Bogart MS: Swimming. In Reider B, editor: Sports medicine: the school-age athlete, ed 2 Philadelphia, 1996, WB Saunders, pp 471-489.
53. Ferro RT, McKeag DB: Spontaneous pneumomediastinum presentation and return-to-play considerations. In Harmon KG, editor: American Medical Society for Sports Medicine case report series, 1999.
54. Jarosz-Hlis J: Tennis. In Shamus E, Shamus J, editors: Sports Injury: Prevention & Rehabilitation, New York, 2001, McGraw-Hill, pp 45-72.
55. Rettig AC: Wrist problems in tennis players, Med Sci Sports Exerc 26:1207-1212, 1994.
56. Werner S, Plancher K: Hand and wrist injuries, Clin Sports Med 17:407-421, 1998.
57. Leach R, Miller J: Lateral and medial epicondylitis of the elbow, Clin Sports Med 6:259-272, 1987.
58. Kibler WB, Chandler TJ, Livingston B, et al: Shoulder range of motion in elite tennis players, Am J Sports Med 24: 279-286, 1996.
59. Elliot BC: Biomechanics of the serve in tennis: a biomedical perspective, Sports Med 6:285-294, 1988.
60. Gecha SR, Torg E: Knee injuries in tennis, Clin Sports Med 7:435-452, 1988.
61. Hutchinson MR, Laparade RF, Burnett QM, et al: Injury survey at the USTA boys tennis championships: a six-year study, Med Sci Sports Exerc 27:826-830, 1995.
62. Briner WW, Cacmar L: Common injuries in volleyball: mechanisms of injury, prevention, and rehabilitation, Sports Med 24:65-71, 1997.
63. Pera CE, Briner WW: Volleyball injuries during the 1995 U.S. Olympic festival, Med Sci Sports Exerc 28(5S):738, 1996.
64. Drexler DM, Briner WW, Reeser JC: Volleyball. In Shamus E, Shamus J, editors: Sports injury: prevention & rehabilitation, New York, 2001, McGraw-Hill, pp 73-102.
65. Holzgraefe M, Kukowski B, Eggert S: Prevalence of latent and manifest suprascapular neuropathy in high-performance volleyball players, Br J Sports Med 28:177-179, 1994.
66. Ferretti A, Cerullo G, Russo G: Suprascapular neuropathy in volleyball players, J Bone Joint Surg Am 69:260-263, 1987.
67. Bhario NH, Nijsten MWN, van Dalen KC, et al: Hand injuries in volleyball, Int J Sports Med 13:351-354, 1992.
Was this article helpful?
Be a star on the field in no time! Get Fit For The Soccer Field In 10 Easy Steps! With soccer season looming just around the corner it’s never too early to start getting ready. Soccer is an intense game, and it’s going to take a lot of work on your part to make sure that you’re ready to stay ahead of your competition out on that field.