The goal of obesity prevention in children and youth is to create—through directed social change—an environmental-behavioral synergy that promotes:
• For the population of children and youth
♦ Reduction in the incidence of childhood and adolescent obesity
♦ Reduction in the prevalence of childhood and adolescent obesity
♦ Reduction of mean population BMI levels
♦ Improvement in the proportion of children meeting the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
♦ Improvement in the proportion of children meeting physical activity guidelines
♦ Achieving physical, psychological, and cognitive growth and developmental goals
• For individual children and youth
♦ A healthy weight trajectory, as defined by the CDC BMI charts
♦ A healthful diet (quality and quantity)
♦ Appropriate amounts and types of physical activity
♦ Achieving physical, psychosocial, and cognitive growth and developmental goals
Because it may take a number of years to achieve and sustain these goals, intermediate goals are needed to assess progress toward reduction of obesity through policy and system changes. Examples include:
• Increased number of children who safely walk and bike to school
• Improved access to and affordability of fruits and vegetables for low-income populations
• Increased availability and use of community recreational facilities
• Increased play and physical activity opportunities
• Increased number of new industry products and advertising messages that promote energy balance at a healthy weight
• Increased availability and affordability of healthful foods and beverages at supermarkets, grocery stores, and farmers markets located within walking distance of the communities they serve
• Changes in institutional and environmental policies that promote energy balance mate aim of obesity prevention in children and youth, however, is to create, through directed social change, an environmental-behavioral synergy that promotes positive outcomes both at the population and individual levels. Box 3-1 summarizes these long-term and intermediate goals, which will be discussed in greater detail throughout the report.
Was this article helpful?
A Hard Hitting, Powerhouse E-book That Is Guaranteed To Change The Way You Look At Your Health And Wellness... Forever. Everything You Know About Health And Wellness Is Going To Change, Discover How You Can Enjoy Great Health Without Going Through Extreme Workouts Or Horrendous Diets.