The committee was charged with developing an action plan focused on preventing obesity in children and youth in the United States. The aim of the plan was to identify the most promising approaches for prevention, including policies and interventions for immediate action and in the longer term. The critical elements of the action plan's development, described in this and subsequent chapters, were as follows:
• Clarifying definitions related to key concepts
• Developing a framework to guide the type and scope of data gathered
• Articulating obesity prevention goals for children and youth
• Identifying criteria for conducting an in-depth review of the available evidence
• Translating the findings from the best available evidence into specific recommendations that comprise an integrated action plan.
Was this article helpful?