After you have studied this chapter you will be able to:
1. understand the legal requirements under the Health and Safety at Work Act
2. distinguish between hazard and risk
3. explain the role of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
4. list the actions that may be taken by the HSE
5. differentiate between health, safety and welfare issues in the workplace
6. discuss the ways of protecting everyone in the workplace from exposure to hazardous substances
7. explain the safety considerations related to electrical equipment
8. understand the importance of reporting injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences
9. describe the importance of administering first aid in the workplace
10. describe the correct techniques for lifting
11. state the precautions that must be in place to meet fire regulations
12. carry out a risk assessment
13. distinguish between infection and infestation
14. differentiate between bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa
15. distinguish between natural immunity and artificial immunity
16. explain the ways in which micro-organisms enter the body and may be transmitted
17. list the required conditions for growth of bacteria
18. distinguish between ectoparasites and endoparasites
19. discuss the factors to be considered in maintaining high standards of salon hygiene
20. discuss the factors to be considered in maintaining high standards of personal hygiene.
Health and safety is about preventing any person sustaining injury, being harmed in any way or becoming ill at work. It involves following correct, safe procedures and taking every possible precaution to protect everyone in the workplace.
Health and safety laws and regulations apply to everyone whether they are employers, managers, employees, self-employed, full- or part-time, paid or unpaid workers. Health and safety issues refer to hazards and risks in the workplace and how to eliminate them.
Hazard means anything that can cause harm.
Risk is the chance, great or small, that someone will be harmed by the hazard.
Was this article helpful?
If you're wanting to learn how to set goals now for tomorrow's benefit. Then this may be the most important letter you'll ever read! You're About To Learn All About Growth Potential Without Potential Waste And How To Manage Your Money Principles, No Matter How Much Time You Have Had To Prepare! It doesn't matter if you've never experienced entrepreneurship up close and personal, This guide will tell you everything you need to know, without spending too much brainpower!