Special thanks to Officer Tommy Gold and Susan Gold, RN. SUGGESTED READING
1. Burt CW, Overpeck MD. Emergency visits for sports related injuries Ann Emerg Med 2001; 37:301-8.
2. Christopher NC, Congeni J. Overuse injures in the pediatric athlete: evaluation, initial management and strategies for prevention. Clin Pediatr Emerg Med 2002; 3(2):118-20.
3. Coady CM, Micheli LJ. Stress fractures in the pediatric athlete. Clin Sports Med 1997; 16(2):225-38.
4. DiFiori JP, Puffer JC, Aish B, Dorey F. Wrist Pain, distal radial physical injury and ulnar variance in young gymnasts: does a relationship exist? Am J Sports Med 2002; 30(6):879-85.
5. Hambridge SJ, Davidson AJ, Gonzales R, Steiner JF. Epidemiology of pediatric injury related primary care office visits in the US. Pediatrics 2002; 109 (4):559-65.
7. Lyman SL, Fleisig GS, Anderws AR, Osinski ED. Effect of pitch type, pitch count, and pitching mechanics on risk of elbow and shoulder pain in youth baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med 2002; 30(4):463-8.
8. Martin TJ, Martin JS. Special Issues and concerns for the high school and college-aged athlete. Pediatr Clin N Am 2002; 49(3):533-52.
9. Mahaffey BL, Smith PA. Shoulder instability in young athletes. Am Fam Phys 59(10): 1999; 2773-82, 2787.
10. Nattiv A, Armesy TD. Stress injury to bone in the female athlete. Clin Sports Med 1997; 16(2):197-224.
11. Naughton G, Farpour-Lambert N, Carlson J, et al. Physiological issues surrounding the performance of adolescent athletes. Sports Med 2000; 30(5): 309-25.
12. Nonfatal Sports and Recreation Related Injuries Treated in Emergency Departments—US July 2000-July 2001. MMWR 2002; 51(33):736-40.
13. Paletta GA Jr, Andrish JT. Injuries about the hip and pelvis in the young athlete. Clin Sports Med 1995; 14(3):591-628.
14. Patel DP, Nelson TL. Sports injuries in adolescents. Med Clin N Am 2000; 84(4): 983-1007.
15. Saperstein AL, Nicholas SJ. Pediatric and adolescent sports medicine. Pediatr Clin N Am 1996; 43(5):1013-33.
16. Shea KG, Apel PJ, Pfeiffer RP. Anterior cruciate ligament injury in paediatric and adolescent patients: a review of basic science and clinical research. Sports Med 33(6):455-71.
17. Stricker PR. Sports Training Issues for the pediatric athletes. Pediatr Clin N Am 2002; 49(4):793-802.
18. Waicus KM, Smith BW. Back injuries in the pediatric athletes. Curr Sports Med Rep 2000:1-7.
Was this article helpful?
Since World War II, there has been a tremendous change in the makeup and direction of kid baseball, as it is called. Adults, showing an unprecedented interest in the activity, have initiated and developed programs in thousands of towns across the United States programs that providebr wholesome recreation for millions of youngsters and are often a source of pride and joy to the community in which they exist.